Halo iPhone App
HALO DIDN’T CHOOSE BETWEEN COST SAVINGS AND QUALITY ASSURANCE, THEY CHOSE BOTH.
With just four people on staff to design the app, manage its development, deliver it to market, and run a scalable business, HALO was looking for a strategic, efficient, and location-independent partnership to assist them in making their vision a reality. HALO was concerned that building their dream product would be too costly. They knew they could slash costs by outsourcing development to the lowest bidder, but the risks of outsourcing posed even greater concerns. To bring a high-quality app to market on a start-up budget and timeline—and get it right the first time—they needed several assurances from their developer relationship:
- Trustworthy, carefully vetted project managers and developers.
- Frequent, efficient, and easy communication with all team members, near and far.
- Experienced iOS App Development for Apple devices.
KEY TAKEAWAYS: HALO EXPERIENCED 3 KEY ADVANTAGES FROM THE HYBRID NEARSHORE MODEL
HALO chose Venice Consulting Group (VCG) in part for the quality assurance of our Hybrid Nearshore Model, which brings the benefits of offshore mobile development closer to home, partnering with handpicked Central and South American teams who share North American time-zones and communication styles. – Joel Hecht, CEO of HALO Mobile
- Less Pain: VCG delivered a synchronized team of experienced and motivated professionals in the same time zone. No more midnight calls, crippling email delays, or broken video conferencing with teams halfway around the world.
- Reduced Costs: VCG’s Hybrid Nearshore model saved HALO up to 40% compared to a full US-resourced team. Plus, they altogether avoided hidden offshore expenses like distant travel, midnight conference calls, and re-work.
- Eliminated Risks and Frustration: The shared business culture of the Hybrid Nearshore model meant fewer misunderstandings and more on-time and on target deliverables. And VCG’s own U.S. based project manager provided personalized oversight and face-to-face meetings when needed.
TACKLING THE TECHNICAL CHALLENGES OF IOS APP DEVELOPMENT
The very concept of an automated diagnostics app that is unnoticeable to the user is innovative. As an ambitious, one-of-a-kind iOS app, Halo presented multiple challenges:
Accomplishing Compatibility with Multiple Versions of Apple iOS
The Halo mobile app is supported by both iOS 6 and iOS 7. To accomplish this crucial versatility, the developer came up with a distinctive method to allow compatibility with both versions of the operating system. This enabled the app to test and assess features available in iOS 7 that are not available in iOS 6, and vice versa. Testing and Simulating the App Across Apple Mobile Devices Halo was tested extensively in software simulation and across a wide range of actual iPhone, iPad, and iPod models in both iOS 6 and iOS 7. Through this testing process, the developer ensured that the app would run reliably and without bugs on all Apple devices that a consumer might want to test.
Accomplishing hardware diagnostics without using private APIs.
Halo developers needed to find creative and efficient ways to accomplish hardware tests from the app while avoiding the use of private APIs, since Apple is prone to reject the apps that do so. For example, when building Halo’s iPhone button test, there was no pre-defined way for the developer to know whether the Power and Home buttons were pressed simultaneously. Our mobile developer overcame this challenge and created an un-intrusive way to accomplish each hardware diagnostic while meeting Apple standards.
Developing Diagnostics with Great User Experience
When creating a method for testing the quality of iPhone, iPad and iPod speakers, the app designer and developer did not want to limit users to running the test in a silent place, or irritate the user with obtrusive noise. The team worked together to discover a way to carry out the test in a noisy place without interfering with the user’s activity.
Testing and Simulating the App across Apple Mobile Devices
Halo was tested extensively in software simulation and across a wide range of actual iPhone, iPad, and iPod models in both iOS 6 and iOS 7. Through this testing process, the developer ensured that the app would run reliably and without bugs on all Apple devices that a consumer might want to test.